海归网首页   海归宣言   导航   博客   广告位价格  
海归论坛首页 会员列表 
收 藏 夹 
论坛帮助 
登录 | 登录并检查站内短信 | 个人设置 论坛首页 |  排行榜  |  在线私聊 |  专题 | 版规 | 搜索  | RSS  | 注册 | 活动日历
主题: ZT Women's ambitions......
回复主题   printer-friendly view    海归论坛首页 -> 海归茶馆           焦点讨论 | 精华区 | 嘉宾沙龙 | 白领丽人沙龙
  阅读上一个主题 :: 阅读下一个主题
作者 ZT Women's ambitions......   
ceo/cfo
[博客]
[个人文集]

头衔: 海归中将

头衔: 海归中将
声望: 院士
性别: 性别:男
加入时间: 2004/11/05
文章: 12941

海归分: 491633

文章标题: ZT Women's ambitions...... (772 reads)      时间: 2007-4-26 周四, 20:48   

作者:ceo/cfo海归茶馆 发贴, 来自【海归网】 http://www.haiguinet.com

By CAROL HYMOWITZ
April 26, 2007

Editor's Note: As part of the Journal's "Women to Watch" report, Carol Hymowitz explores issues and challenges that executive women face, in a monthly online column. Ms. Hymowitz writes the "In the Lead" column for the print Journal.

Diane Schumaker-Krieg, managing director and global head of research at Wachovia, didn't think of herself as intensely ambitious when she started her career. But she knew in her 30s that she needed to keep working to support herself and her son -- and that knowledge bolstered her goals.

"I credit a lot of my career to the fact that I didn't have an option not to work," she says. "I couldn't agonize or sit around feeling guilty" about whether or not to be a stay-at-home mother. She focused on achieving as much as she could in business.

Ms. Schumaker-Krieg
Ambition is a complicated issue for a lot of women. Many fear they'll be judged unfeminine if they show a strong desire for power and push hard to advance. Anna Fels, a psychiatrist at Weill Cornell Medical College in New York, who has researched and written about ambition and gender differences, found that many women negatively associate the word ambition with egotism, selfishness and manipulation of others. They squelch their aspirations and avoid getting recognition for their accomplishments.

But women who need paychecks -- either because they're single or because their families depend on their incomes -- are often less ambivalent about wanting to advance. Many feel more free to undertake new challenges and push themselves to excel. And some, like Ms. Schumaker-Krieg, also bring along other women, infecting them with the desire to achieve.

Ms. Schumaker-Krieg didn't start out aiming to become a top executive. "My career at first was driven more by fear than a wish for power," she says. She was overwhelmed by anxiety on Oct. 19, 1987, or Black Monday, when the stock market crashed. At the time, she was working on Wall Street at Dillon Read, coordinating syndication of the firm's managed equity offerings. As stocks tumbled, she realized she might lose her job. "All of our IPO's were postponed indefinitely, and my position evaporated as quickly as our new issue backlog," she recalls.

When she was laid off a few months later, she panicked, aware that there were few new jobs on Wall Street. She was getting divorced, had hefty legal bills to pay and a six-year-old-son to support. She was determined not to let her son down. "That gave me courage to pick myself up," she says. "I knew it was time for me to get creative."

The annual Journal report on Women to Watch looks at 50 women who have the potential to make a significant impact on business in the year ahead. Here's a look at the most recent report:
Melinda Gates tops the list: As co-founder and co-chair of the Gates Foundation, Ms. Gates has emerged as a powerful force in the new philanthropy. See a sortable listing of the top 50 women.
The Other Women to Watch: Susan Whiting, Michele Coleman Mayes
For women in business, there are some new faces at the top, but the overall numbers have barely budged. (Read the story.)She stayed up all night writing a business plan. The next day, she persuaded her boss at Dillon Read to let her start a new business for the company. All she asked for was her base salary for a year. If she wasn't successful in that time, she told her boss, he should fire her.

The idea she presented was straightforward and novel at the time: adapt the research the company already developed for institutional investors and sell it to an array of new customers, such as regional banks and small and mid-sized broker dealers.

One of her first clients was James Wolfensohn, then president of the World Bank. He answered her call on his office phone, thinking it was his car service, and Ms. Schumaker-Krieg wouldn't let him hang up until he bought a subscription.

Two years later she jumped to Credit Suisse (formerly, Credit Suisse First Boston). Over the next 11 years Ms. Schumaker-Krieg substantially grew her research product, bringing in profits of more than $150 million and some 100 new clients, according to Credit Suisse. She created a marketing campaign, handled legal matters, wooed clients and negotiated deals – on a tiny budget.

For many years she had only one employee. A recent college graduate, Mara Lipner shared Ms. Schumaker-Krieg's enthusiasm to build something from scratch but had talents that were quite different than hers. "We were yin and yang," says Ms. Schumaker-Krieg. "I was driven and couldn't sit still and would come in every day thinking about how to get new clients. I'd get the clients and then Mara would service them with a patience I didn't have."

"Diane accomplished things by sheer willpower -- and she always encouraged us to keep learning and growing," says Ms. Lipner, who earned an MBA part-time while working at Credit Suisse and is now a director in the equity research department.

After several years at Credit Suisse, Ms. Schumaker-Krieg hired another woman Leigh Ann Kehley, to handle day-to-day finances and other operating tasks. Ms. Kehley started as an administrative assistant and advanced gradually to vice president, after passing several exams that allowed her to practice in the securities industry.

When Ms. Schumaker-Krieg was promoted to managing director of Credit Suisse's U.S. Equity Research unit in 2002, Ms. Lipner and Ms. Kehley took charge of the business she'd launched and have kept growing it. "You move up and then you reach down and help others up the ladder," says Ms. Schumaker-Krieg. "Any one of us who has managed to get herself into a position of authority and influence and decision making is obligated to do that," she believes.

Three years ago, Ms. Schumaker-Krieg jumped at the chance to oversee Wachovia's equity, fixed income and structured products research. "It was a chance to align research across sectors and products to better serve clients" and expand her own reach, she says.

Ms. Schumaker-Krieg remarried 15 years ago and certainly has been successful enough to no longer have to work. So what propels her to keep striving?

Work is exciting, she says. "Achievement, the chance to connect with others in business, try new things and succeed all feel good -- and so reinforce me."

作者:ceo/cfo海归茶馆 发贴, 来自【海归网】 http://www.haiguinet.com

相关主题
women's tommy and men's heart(ambitions) 海归酒吧 2010-11-19 周五, 00:56
ZT: What women want in a man? 海归茶馆 2013-1-26 周六, 14:00
三八节献礼:Facebook女COO一年前讲演:Why we have t... 生活风情 2012-3-09 周五, 06:25
[笑话]Women laugh at men 海归茶馆 2010-6-05 周六, 08:22
[笑话]NINE WORDS WOMEN USE 海归茶馆 2010-4-19 周一, 13:07
【流鼻血】小民有开心的权利 - Google一下:Nud- Skydive... 海归酒吧 2010-1-14 周四, 13:22
顶风飘香评电影 - 《The Women》女人们 海归茶馆 2009-2-20 周五, 23:18
[闲聊]POOR or CHEAP men are losers and ... 海归酒吧 2009-2-16 周一, 11:40

返回顶端
阅读会员资料 ceo/cfo离线  发送站内短信
  • ZT Women's ambitions...... -- ceo/cfo - (6589 Byte) 2007-4-26 周四, 20:48 (772 reads)
显示文章:     
回复主题   printer-friendly view    海归论坛首页 -> 海归茶馆           焦点讨论 | 精华区 | 嘉宾沙龙 | 白领丽人沙龙 所有的时间均为 北京时间

论坛转跳:   
不能在本论坛发表新主题, 不能回复主题, 不能编辑自己的文章, 不能删除自己的文章, 不能发表投票, 您 不可以 发表活动帖子在本论坛, 不能添加附件不能下载文件, 
   热门标签 更多...
   论坛精华荟萃 更多...
   博客热门文章 更多...

海归网二次开发,based on phpbb
Copyright © 2005-2024 Haiguinet.com. All rights reserved.